Sailing Hatseflats
A 15ft Pram for Dinghy Cruising
20180624
20180625
20180626
20180627
20180628
20180629
20180915
20181014
20190422
20190510
20190511
20190512
20190525
20190601
20190803
20190804
20190805
20190807
20190819
20190820
20190821
20190822
20190823
20190828
20200216
20200603
20200612
20200712
20200718
20200719
20200727
20200822
20200905
20200910
20200911
20200912
20200913
20200920
20210305
20210509
20210724
20210905
20210912
20211003

Hatseflats Design

Hatseflats Hull Build

Fitting Out Hatseflats

Building TooPhat

<< >>

20200718

With the box sorted it was now time to add the lid and tie-downs.

During the week I had glued tie-downs to the sides and front to attach a spectra line for carrying the box in and out of the boat. I used three tie-downs from the small that I had made in the 2018-2019 winter. These tie-downs were made from two layers of 8mm ply. With an ample glueing surface they are immensely strong without need for screws (I avoid screws whenever I can).

Designing and building the lid was an interesting experiment. I wanted the lid to fit over the box to make it splashwater proof. To prevent the lid from sticking to the box I did not want a tight fit. My solution was to temporarily increase the size of the box with a layer of cardboard stuck between the lid and the box. I covered the top of the box with masking tape as a release agent.

The next step was to cut the lid sides roughly to size and glue the corners. I stapled the sides to the box to keep the lid sides in place. The last step was to glue the oversized lid to the sides and weigh them down with bricks.



20200718_IMG_1622.JPG
20200718_IMG_1623.JPG
20200718_IMG_1624.JPG
20200718_IMG_1625.JPG
20200718_IMG_1627.JPG
20200718_IMG_1628.JPG
20200718_IMG_1629.JPG
20200718_IMG_1630.JPG
20200718_IMG_1631.JPG