Fitting Out Hatseflats
Today I rose early to laminate two layers of the rudder and daggerboard.
While I was laminating most of the commuters were stuck in traffic jams because it was the first gale of the season.
I used about 240g of glue.
When the glue has set I will add the final layer of plywood to the rudder and daggerboard.
This will bring the thickness of the blanks to 24mm.
Finally I will round the forward edge (8cm) and taper the aft edge (10cm) and wrap the foils in 280g glass cloth.
Richard helped to cover the hull in epoxy and 160g glass cloth.
First we sanded the hull and marked the low spots for extra filler.
Eventually we forgot about the filler and started laminating the precut glass on the starboard side of the hull.
We worked from the bottom to the sides.
Laminating the glass onto the bottom and garboard panels went smoothly.
We used a broad brush to apply the epoxy and Colad squeegees to spread it around.
We used a metal roller to squeeze out the air bubbles.
We made 4 vertical cuts in the side and topside panels to get rid of the folds.
We spent 2 hours laminating and used about 1.8kg of epoxy (resin and hardener).
I was happy that Richard helped out. It would have taken me about 6 hours if I had worked singlehandedly.
Richard sanding the hull.
After glassing the hull.